Here we go.

30 November 2010

I give thanks.

I'm pretty sure that Thanksgiving in New Orleans is my preferred choice. I had all of my needs taken care of: delicious food, a darling, crumbling city as backdrop, wonderful company & Four Loko.

We rolled into town late last Wednesday. After unloading our things in our hotel room, we wandered into the Quarter to get a night cap. It took a good minute for us to get our bearings. It took less time than that for some rando gross guy to try to pick up KMHD. Seriously.

View from our room:
Photobucket

Photobucket

It would be very easy for me to say that I could never cook up a Thanksgiving feast ever again. Our menu:
Photobucket

Photobucket

ATM & I put our vegetarianism on hold for one day, so we could have Thanksgiving food. Here is my starter, the shrimp and tasso corn dogs. I did not want to share & save for one bite, I didn't!
Photobucket

I had the standard turkey/dressing kind of meal because I really wanted to try oyster stuffing. A+, y'all! I would *love* a do-over on this meal!
Photobucket

ATM reasoned that if he was going to put off being vegetarian, that'd he go for the primo stuff. In his case, a piece offa prime rib. I got to try a bite. Mmmmmmm.
Photobucket

KMHD got the Creole cream cheese gnudis. In short, it tasted 'weird'.
Photobucket

We walked over Cafe Du Monde, a NOLA institution & favorite childhood memory of mine. I distinctly remember sticky everything & accidentally inhaling powdered sugar. Some things, thankfully, do not change. Being fueled by sugar & caffeine after a big meal is fun for exactly one hour or thereabouts. After that, it's zombie street walk time!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Good sun:
Photobucket

KMHD thinks that this is the shop owner's kitty, but I believe that it is the shop owner. I love a well-placed feline:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket

We stayed on Royal Street/Rue Royale:

Photobucket

Photobucket

I really wanted this little French store to be open, but non!
Photobucket

This guy again. Still working!
Photobucket

Pretty fancy!:
Photobucket

That evening, our friend Davey invited the three of us to someone we didn't know's house. We assumed that it was his place, but wandered into this semi-intimate Thanksgiving pot luck; I am SO GLAD that I brought a homemade buttermilk pie. I think it would've been more awkward if we showed empty-handed. At least, too, we had our own libations. Anyway, we got to meet up with Jen & Paul there. I love them. Really, I do. They are sweet, kind, and, like most of my friends, practically kin. After hanging out at the unknown's house for a spell, we went to J & P's home for coffee/refreshments & they walked us down to the bayou, which is around the corner from their cute house. It will forever be a great memory for me. My only regret is that we didn't get to hang out with them again/longer.
Photobucket

Davey & Four Loko:
Photobucket

The next morning, I got coffee in this courtyard.
Photobucket

Courtyard!
Photobucket

It's a shame that today's architecture is nothing as romantic & precious.
Photobucket

These fine folks did not know that this puss was sitting there until I asked if I could take this photo:
Photobucket

We drove around the Ninth Ward a touch and then the Lafayette Cemetary, but KMHD was feeling under the weather, so we left town pretty quickly. Nothing like being ill AND not at home.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

A really good trip & I am already considering the same for next year, but this time WITH FRIENDS. Please, oh, please!

While we were in NOLA, we got to watch the Saints play, but I had my mind on the upcoming Arkansas v. LSU match back home. This is why we won:
Photobucket

Photobucket

You may want to sit down for the cuteness overload you are about to experience.

Negi:
Photobucket

It's THE FACE!
Photobucket

Truth is, we have a lot of fun when we go out of town, but I am always so happy to come home. I am so thankful for my friends. Good lot of folks.





















3 comments:

boleroid said...

did you stay at the monteleone? did you have a drink at the carousel bar? was that courtyard you had breakfast in at the napoleon house? love that city...

AMD & KMHD said...

We didn't stay at the Monteleone. I WISH. We stayed next door at the Holiday Inn. I *wanted* to try the carousel bar, but there's always next time. Tell your respective families that you won't be home for Thanksgiving '11 because you will be in NOLA!

nicole said...

Great photos! And, my God, that FOOD looks amazing... *tummy growls*

Blog Archive